Will this ear mold hurt my child?
Ear molding does not hurt your child. The device is made of soft, moldable materials designed for minimal irritation and no pain.
Is InfantEar™ Safe for my baby?
InfantEar is made of safe, biocompatible materials in a single-use, disposable kit to minimize cross-contamination for your baby.
How long will the device remain on my baby?
The InfantEar molding device will stay on your child for 2 weeks.
Will one 2-week molding period be enough?
If your child is 3 weeks or younger, most likely they will only need to have the device on for 2 weeks. However, if the child is a little older, it may require additional molding of 2 or more weeks.
Can we bathe our baby with the ear mold in place?
We recommend that you do not get the ear molding device wet. You can wash around the device. When feeding your baby, avoid formula and breast milk from dripping down into the device. If it does get wet, it may loosen, come off, or the skin may become irritated (similar to a wet diaper).
Why do you need to put on the silicone gel?
The gel has two main functions – it customizes and consolidates the device. It makes the structure more stable and secure, plus it also unites all of the pieces so if the device were to become dislodged, there are no loose pieces that a baby can choke on.
Will the silicone gel get into my baby’s ear canal and decrease his/her hearing?
No. The gel is placed around the device pieces and the folds of the ear, but not in the ear canal itself. There are no concerns about the device limiting hearing function.
Do you have to shave the hair behind the ear?
Yes, but we only need to trim the hair above and right behind the ear to ensure a secure fit of the adhesive base plate.
Will insurance cover this?
In most instances yes, insurance will cover this procedure, but you need to check with your individual insurance carrier to determine if they will cover this expense.
Do we have to wear the beanie at all times?
Yes we recommend that your baby wears the beanie. It helps to keep the device protected in case it is accidentally hit, which could loosen it.